The Delegation of the European Union announces the
BABYLON BEST YOUNG TRANSLATOR COMPETITION
The Delegation of the European Union, in cooperation with the Macedonian Translators Association (MATA), has the pleasure to announce the 2015 Babylon competition for Best Young Translator. The objectives of the Best Young Translator Competition are to motivate and promote young translators as well as to encourage excellence in translating literary works from European languages into the languages spoken in the country.
• Entries must be translations of (extracts from) literary works: novel, novella, short story, or non-fiction.
• Entries must be translations from any of the 24 official languages of the European Union into any of the languages spoken in the country.
• Entries must be translations from original literary works published in an EU member state within the last 3 years in any of the official languages of the EU, which have not been translated, in full or in part, into the language of application until the closing date for receipt of entries.
• Entries must be the original work of the translator and must not, as a whole or in part, have been previously published or accepted for publication, including web or self-publication, or broadcast. They must not have been entered for any other competition. Entries may be the collective work of any number of translators.
• Entrants may not be older than 26 years of age.
• Entries must be submitted with a code, composed by the applicant and consisting of five characters, and each with a separate entry form. Each entry must consist of: a) a letter of interest, b) a correctly completed entry form, c) a copy of the source text, d) a copy of the translated text, and e) a signed statement that the entry has been translated from the source text in its original language.
• The source text must contain the name of its author and the title, and must be page-numbered. There must be nothing on it which might identify the translator.
• The translation must be in size 12 Times New Roman font and double-spaced. It must be between 5,000 – 7,000 words long. The translation must be page-numbered and have a title, and there must be nothing on it which might identify the translator.
• Translations from different languages or from different genres should be treated as separate entries. A maximum of three entries may be submitted per entrant.
• There are no limitations on entrants with respect to nationality, place of residence, or professional status. No organiser, jury member or their relatives may enter.
• The decision of the jury is final. Applicants will not receive feedback on their entries.
• Entry into the competition signifies acceptance of all entry criteria.
• The translator must be a citizen of the Republic of Macedonia.
Awards shall be bestowed for each language in which applications have been received.
The award consists of: €500 monetary award, annual membership to the MATA Translators Association, and publication of the translation, in full or in part, in the Kulturen život magazine.
There will be separate juries for each of the languages of application. The selection process includes two stages; applications are graded by a bilingual jury in the first stage, after which the applications which have been given an established minimum of points are graded by a monolingual jury. The points are summarised from the results of the two juries. Juries include experienced translators in the relevant languages, eminent members of academia, and/or writers.
The jury reserves the right not to bestow an award.
An informative session and a practical workshop for potential applicants and young translators will be organised at the EU InfoCentre on 22 December, at 16:00 hrs.
The awarding ceremony will take place on the European Day of Languages 2015, 26 September 2015.
CLOSING DATE FOR RECEIPT OF ENTRIES: 2 April 2015
Applicants should send a letter of interest, a filled-out entry form and a copy of their ID card to the following
e-mail address: Babyloncompetition@euic.mk
You can download the announcement and the entry form here: BABYLON announcement_2015